Well its pretty clear to see that we have had the rainiest summer in years, actually since 1938! It seems like every other day its raining if not every day. There is absolutely no where for all this water to go to. Our kids seem to love splashing in these huge puddles but with these huge puddles we are seeing a lot more water in homes.
If you are one the unfortunate ones who gets water in your home we are here to help you get through it. We know that these times can be absolutely devastating for some by losing things that just can not be replaced. Once the water in your home has gone down and its safe to go back in there are some things that we need to do to get your claim started right away.
First lets go over some great tips that Foremost Insurance came up with before you enter your home and make sure that is safe:
- Check for structural damage and use extreme caution. One way to do this is to check if the walls are vertical and straight.
- Turn off the electricity in your home at the main breaker or fuse box. Make sure you stand in a dry spot to do this! If you can’t stand in a dry spot, call an electrician who will take care of the risk.
- Turn off the gas. If you smell something unusual, leave immediately and call your gas company from another location.
- Check your sewage system. Repair damaged septic tanks, cesspools, pits and leaching systems as soon as possible. These serious health hazards.
- Take precaution when inspecting your home. Your home may have sagging ceilings and areas that are still flooded.
Now that we are sure that structure of your home is safe lets talk about what your next step is, reporting your claim. As your independent insurance agent that is what we are here for. Some great things you should have ready to tell your agent as we help you report your claim:
- Your name and address
- Date the loss happened
- Description of events that led to loss
- Pictures of the damage are always helpful
- Active phone number or email for us to be able to get into contact with you. Especially if you are calling on behalf of an elderly person.
Once you have filed your claim with us, we will report everything to the insurance company. An adjuster will come out and assess the damage of the home and your claim will be processed. We know that water in your home is never good, and some things may never be able to be replaced, but as your agent we are here for you to help with the process.